Lesson Five: Listen to the Good Vibrations - Tales from Torti Town: Life Lessons Learned from Tortoises

Tales from Torti Town: Life Lessons Learned from Tortoises

...a collection of tales (and life lessons learned) from the home of 14 Red-Footed Tortoises on the island of St Croix.

Monday, February 1, 2021

Lesson Five: Listen to the Good Vibrations

Music in the soul can be heard by the universe. ~Lao Tzu


I mentioned in another blog post (Lesson Two: Things Do Not Have to be Perfect to be Ideal) that tortoises can feel the vibrations. And when they feel my vibrations, they come out of their hides to see what good stuff I have brought for them. The tortoises have learned that the vibrations of human footsteps bring good things (usually a buffet of salad goodness).


Mixed in with the salad buffet are the special, favorite things hidden underneath (mushrooms, carambola, papaya, etc). Although sometimes I hold a little of the good stuff back for the latecomers, on most days it all gets put out at once. This means, the ones who respond first to the vibrations, get the good stuff.


When I was thinking about this, it made me think about other good vibrations - music! 


“Music is powerful. As people listen to it, they can be affected. They respond.” ~ Ray Charles


I make it a practice to listen to music that is uplifting to me; energizing sounds. I choose music that increases my happiness level.


There was a time that I listened to a darker sound, including goth metal. 


And, while I like the sound of Peter Steele's voice, from Type O Negative (I compare it to dark, melted chocolate...it's deep, smooth, and rich), I found that it was having a negative impact on my mood. My happiness level was going down...And so, I gave up listening to that vibration.


"A great song should lift your heart, warm the soul and make you feel good.” ~ Colbie Caillat


What do I spend my time listening to now? Some people are frustrated (annoyed?) by my absolute insistence that I listen to and watch only positive, happy things. For some, this seems limiting...even shallow. I'm ok with that. Life brings me serious, dark things sometimes...I'm not going to bring it to myself by choice.


I choose to listen to music with a positive message. Songs with a happy beat. This is my vibration of choice.


When the music changes, so does the dance. ~African Proverb


My current favorite is Michael Franti & SpearHead's new CD: Work Hard & Be Nice (in fact, I'm listening to it as I write this).

So we can love deeper
Fly higher
See clearer
Burn brighter
Feel more than we ever did before
Yeah we can swim oceans
Climb mountains
Dance like nobody's watching
Live life like we never did before
And through the highs and lows
Baby I got you yeah
And you got me yeah
~ from the song "I Got You" 


This is a vibration that motivates me to come out and "get the good stuff!" If Lao Tzu was correct (and really, who I am to argue?) and music in the soul can be heard by the universe...this is the vibration I choose to send out for the universe to hear!


Stay tuned for more tales from Torti Town.

No comments:

Post a Comment